[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Fabrice DESRE fabrice.desre at francetelecom.com
Fri Mar 8 17:44:50 UTC 2002

Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> On 3/8/02 12:54 AM, "Fabrice DESRE" <fabrice.desre at francetelecom.com>
> wrote:
>
>  > Julian Missig wrote:
>  >
>  >> Yeah, I understand. I just assumed "don't break on unknown extensions -
>  >> just ignore" was supposed to be more of a parser-level rather than
>  >> application level, but yes, it should be application level too.
>  >
>  > Sorry to insist Julian, but this can't be at parser level. It has to
>  > be specified at application level ONLY - unless if you're using a custom
>  > parser of course (but who will ?).
>
> :)  There are some who are using custom XML parsers.  Particularly on the
> embedded side of things.  Making Jabber's XML subset really simple helps to
> make this manageable and should continue to be something to take into
> consideration.  IMHO.

  You make a good point whith embedded devices (even if an XML 1.0 +
namespaces fits in less 200k bytes), but this is not what I want to
show. There are some design mistakes IMHO in jabber related to
namespaces, and the server MUST be conformant. If you really want to
impose a subset of XML in jabber, then don't pretend to use namespaces,
because you don't currently. Of course if you do so you're doomed when
we came to interoperability with other standards (i'll show you how the
actual jabber implementation is unable to carry some SOAP messages)
  Let me some time to write it cleanly, please...

	Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desre - France Telecom R&D/DTL/TAL
Tel: +(33) 2 96 05 31 43