[standards-jig] Scope of message events (jabber:x:event)

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Tue Mar 12 12:16:08 UTC 2002

Hi all

I wrote up the jabber:x:event stuff into a JEP [1] [2] recently. So
I had this information swimming about in my head.

Then I was looking at one of the new 1.4.2 features jer added - to
allow store'n'forward of packets to a disconnected component.
I decided to hack on it a bit and add support to that new feature
for the jabber:x:expire namespace [3], so packet TTLs are honoured,
and for the jabber:x:delay namespace (a simple "offline storage"
stamp).

So I added support for x:expire and x:delay ...  Then I thought -
hmm, how about support for jabber:x:event? At least,
support for the 'offline' event. All the talk, usage, and feeling
about jabber:x:event so far has implied (to me, at least) an
orientation towards JSMness, rather than a global mechanism for
(message) events. But perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to
know if your message was stored offline on the way to a service
(component)...

What does anyone else thing? We already have one restriction - that
it applies to <message/>s only. Do we want this further (hitherto
implied) restriction that it applies to JSM traffic only? I don't
think so, but then again, that's what this list is for - to ask :-)

dj

[1] http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0022.html
[2] I've already submitted a new version that contains typo corrections
    but it hasn't reached HTML format yet ...
[3] I've just submitted this as a JEP too, should be appearing soon on
    the jeplist