[standards-jig] calendaring?

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 18:43:59 UTC 2002

On 3/5/02 8:42 AM, "Dave" <dcohen at ramapo.edu> wrote:

> If your goal is to be able to "chat" with your calendar, I'd strongly
> suggest using something like ChatBot, and simply making a scheduling
> plugin.  If your goal is to integrate scheduling functionality into
> a Jabber client, why not just embed a calendaring client (for some
> reasonably standardized scheduling protocol) into your Jabber client?
> As far as I can see, the more "stuff" we add to the Jabber protocol,
> the fewer choices we'll all have for fully-functional clients
> (since a "fully-functional" Jabber client will actually have to be a
> fully-functional video conferencing client, as well as a fully-functional
> scheduling client, as well as a fully-functional group management client,
> as well as, of course, a fully-functional IM client, and my experience

This is not the intent of the Jabber protocol setup.  Other than the basic
Jabber protocols, all other protocols are optional.  There may be
"competing" protocols which address the same problem in different ways.  As
long as you support the "core" jabber protocols, you are a "full jabber
client".  All extension protocols are designed to provide standard ways of
adding additional functionality.  They are not required or even suggested
for every client to implement.

All this goes to say that within reason, the more protocols the better.  A
calendering protocol would be a nice addition.

-iain