[standards-jig] calendaring?

Dave dave at dave.tj
Wed Mar 13 20:50:13 UTC 2002

The problem is that if you have a message-only Jabber client and a
message-and-videoconferencing Jabber client, you have no way of telling
the Jabber server that videoconferencing requests should be sent to
your videoconferencing client, while text messages should be sent to
your text-only client.  Now, if we add a calendaring client to the mix,
we've just made our problem even bigger, because we have no way of
telling the server to send calendaring events to our calendaring client.

In other words, you're right: there's nothing "requiring" a Jabber client
to implement a non-core feature (or even the "core" feature of text
messaging), but if your client doesn't implement a particular feature,
users of that client won't have an easy way of using that feature without
opting for another client for _all_ their Jabber interaction.  THAT is
what I'm referring to as the problem here.  I'm working on a solution
with my Jabber proxy, but I'd like to see my proxy obsoleted by some
server-side ability to route XML data to different resources based on
rules submitted by the clients.  I'd like to have my calendaring Jabber
"client" actually be a module in my calendaring application, designed
to interact with the Jabber world.  I can then have a module in my
calendaring application for email interfacing (which already has very
impressive routing capabilities) too, as well as one for communicating
over my cell phone.

Dave Cohen <dave at dave.tj>