[standards-jig] I18N (Internationalization)

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Thu Mar 14 18:17:47 UTC 2002

Using xml:lang on individual message/iq/presence packets seems to be a
great idea, it allows services to gradually upgrade their i18n support and
for requests going across servers to be handled properly as well.  I'd
expect that any time a lang is specified in the request and it isn't
supported by the service, it would still identify the lang of it's default
response, and should probably do that in general all the time anyway if it
supports multiple languages.

This would also work well for identifying the language used
in client-client messaging wouldn't it? And maybe then for interacting
with a translating service, or a server module that could filter and
support such things automatically?

Unless there's something major I'm missing, would you want to write up a
JEP on this to define it a bit better and give some examples Max?

Jer