[standards-jig] I18N (Internationalization)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Mar 14 20:12:50 UTC 2002

At 12:17 Uhr -0600 14.03.2002, Jeremie wrote:
>Using xml:lang on individual message/iq/presence packets seems to be a
>great idea, it allows services to gradually upgrade their i18n support and
>for requests going across servers to be handled properly as well.  I'd
>expect that any time a lang is specified in the request and it isn't
>supported by the service, it would still identify the lang of it's default
>response, and should probably do that in general all the time anyway if it
>supports multiple languages.
>
>This would also work well for identifying the language used
>in client-client messaging wouldn't it? And maybe then for interacting
>with a translating service, or a server module that could filter and
>support such things automatically?

Yeah, that all could be done, if desired, no problem. And many other
things as well. Like if you want you can make your client display a
little country flag to denote the language/nationality of the sender
etc. =)

>Unless there's something major I'm missing, would you want to write up a
>JEP on this to define it a bit better and give some examples Max?

I will start work on this. If anybody wants to contribute, feel free
to contact me at this email or via jabber: black_fingolfin at jabber.org.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer