[standards-jig] x:data and XML Forms

Ryan Eatmon reatmon at jabber.org
Sun Mar 31 02:29:11 UTC 2002

We looked into XForms, and a few other XML based GUI things, before
coming up with x:data.  The problem is that we needed something that is
data gathering only and not a GUI definition.  Remember that this
solution needs to work across all clients, no matter the interface they
use.  So XForms is overkill.  And trying to scope the Data Gathering to
a subset of XForms is not practical either.  It's like trying to say
that we need a screw driver, and giving people a swiss army knife.  You
just begging to abuse the purpose behind this idea.

Here's my own personal two cents.  There are two ways to approach a JEP
and adding new things into Jabber.  You can scope out a specific problem
and target a solution that solves what you want.  Or you can propse a
general idea and spend a long, long time trying to come up with a
solution that fits every conceivable future use.

We chose to tackle the idea of gathering data and not defining the
actual GUI form, hence the change of name from x:form to x:data.  When
you start opening the can of worms of GUI definition you quickly have a
slew of issues and ideas that everyone and their dog wants to solve.
 And so you need a solution like XForms.  If somone else want to tackle
the GUI definition and make it work for all Client types, then feel
free.  All I wanted was a better way of gathering data, and I feel that
x:data gives us just that.

Our thought was that it would be possible to use XForms to define how
the form looks, while x:data defines how the asker wants the data to look.

Ryan Eatmon                   reatmon at jabber.org
Jabber.org - Perl Team    jid:reatmon at jabber.org