[standards-jig] Pub/Sub for JNG?

Dave dave at dave.tj
Wed May 1 21:36:36 UTC 2002

I have no particular comment about #3 (since I haven't thought of it
seriously, so my opinion really doesn't count).  However, #1 and #2
(as well as our standard connection method) aren't mutually exclusive.
I think we should allow entities to negotiate each connection in
order to optimize network utilization.  In fact, we may be able to
pull off a further generalization, having TCP/UDP be one property,
uncompressed/gzipped/bzipped to be another property, etc. - so entities
can indicate their desired value for each property.  (Anybody who uses
the bzip format for anything other than _huge_ data transfers is probably
crazy, but that's not a good enough reason not to allow Jabber entities
to use it if they wish to, and their peers don't object.)  For large
transfers between "close" (in network terms) Jabber servers, UDP may
actually be better even for s2s (but don't quote me on that - I'm just
speculating); regardless, my opinion is that the Jabber protocol should
give entities the right to decide how to communicate with other entities.
Flexibility is the name of the game.

 - Dave