[standards-jig] Pub/Sub for JNG?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 2 01:59:07 UTC 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Dave wrote:

> Will somebody please bring up one point that would appear to imply that
> UDP is useless to almost everybody?  If not, then allowing people to
> use UDP if they prefer causes us no harm, and may actually benefit some.

Dave, the onus of proof is on you. As far as everyone else on this list is
concerned -- and that includes people who have written serious, scalable
Jabber libraries, clients, and servers -- TCP solves the problems Jabber
needs to solve in ways that UDP can't touch. I suggest you either write a
well-thought-out, seriously-researched JEP on this topic (including
requirements and demonstrable benefits) or write a messaging server and
client (or convince programmers to do so) that runs over UDP instead of
TCP. Until you do so, I would suggest that you not discuss the topic of
UDP topic on this list.

In fact, as list admin, I am again willing and able to cut off discussion
of this topic (just as I cut off your discussion of emoticons on JDEV)
because right now we're eating up bandwidth that could be spent discussing
serious, realistic protocol extensions.

Indeed, I would go farther and point out that your karma is running low on
all Jabber-related lists. I have the patience of a saint, but my patience
is running low, especially since the emoticons discussion caused a fair
number of people to unsubscribe or write email filters -- and the people
who did so have much more important things to do with their time than
write email filters or hit the delete key 49 times in 36 hours. I hereby
warn you to improve the quality of your posts immediately (i.e., generate
productive discussion) or the exceedingly-patient list admin will have no
choice but to consider you a troll and deal with you accordingly.

Thanks.

email+jabber: stpeter at jabber.org
weblog: http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/