[standards-jig] JEP-0022 - Additional Events

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Sun May 12 17:53:43 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:36:14PM +1000, Michael Brown wrote:
> I don't know if this has been talked about or not - my apologies if it
> has...

I do remember a discussion about adding extra events, and possibly renaming
the namespace(!), a while back (I could be wrong, tho).

> I would advocate adding some more event types to this JEP.  In particular,
> events <lostfocus/> and <gainedfocus/>.  ICQ chat used to have something
> similar to this (not sure if it still does, because it doesn't work though
> NAT) and it was very useful.  Basically it means that the client can give
> some visual feedback if the remote user looses focus of their current chat

This is just my opinion, of course, but I'll put forward two reasons
why I don't think we should do this:

(a) 0022 is informational, documenting what we have. Any new stuff should
be in a new namespace, or at least a new JEP ('extending x:event' or
whatever).

(b) 0022 is specifically related to messages (the composition and delivery
thereof). Focus has arguably nothing to do with either of these. On the one
hand, focus on a window doesn't mean that any particular message 'tab' (or
whatever GUI form the app might take) is showing - i.e. knowing the focus
is on the Jabber app doesn't mean that any message _is_ being read. On the
other hand, not having focus on the Jabber app doesn't mean that a message
_isn't_ being read. So one could say there's no useful connection between
focus and the knowledge that a message might be being read.

> Also, at the risk of going overboard, <chatclosed/> and <chatopened/> tags
> might also be useful to indicate when someone has closed a chat session on
> you.  This might get around the multiple goodbyes problem when one person
> isn't sure if the other has finished the conversation or not.

To be honest, I didn't realise this was regarded as a problem. I just say
ciao and go :-)

dj