[standards-jig] A late security comment on JEP-0020 (and random comments about #31)

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Thu May 16 00:41:13 UTC 2002

After thinking about it a bit, I agree that negotiation of security
algorithms is only acceptable via JEP-0020 is only viable if man in the
middle attacks are considered an acceptable risk. You must require some
form of trusted secret in order to prevent man in the middle attacks (or
physical protection between the endpoints :-)).

random question about JEP-0031 - why does all data need to be processed
in network-byte-order UTF-16; Jabber requires only UTF-8 support to
connect, so that means all clients will require some mechanism for
handling both character encodings (and conversion between). UTF-8 also
has the benefit of not having system byte endianness as an issue. Also,
does the data need to be normalized for these algorithms to work? (I
assume it does for any sort of signing to function correctly, but I'm
still only a third of the way through your JEP)

-David Waite