[standards-jig] WebPresence

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Fri Nov 1 13:38:54 UTC 2002

For what it's worth, I was working on a Jabber presence display program in
perl.  I'll post the source code in a seperate message.

The script is a little different from yours because it's designed for
environments where the user uploads it.  Thus, it needs a configuration
file that specifies both a username and password to connect to the Jabber
server.  It caches results (well, not yet) to prevent repeated calls to
the server, and it gives the user the ability to specify their own files
to display images for certain statuses.

It also has a text mode, which is useful if you want to use server-side
includes to call it and return the text inline with your document.

A couple of points.

1. What is to be gained by revealing resource and priority from the
program?

2. Why limit images to 16x16 or 32x32?  Seems kind of small, and a square
shape limits the kind of data that can be returned by the server.  Can a
status line really fit in that?