[standards-jig] WebPresence

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Fri Nov 1 14:11:04 UTC 2002

> For what it's worth, I was working on a Jabber presence display program in
> perl.  I'll post the source code in a seperate message.
>
> The script is a little different from yours because it's designed for
> environments where the user uploads it.  Thus, it needs a configuration
> file that specifies both a username and password to connect to the Jabber
> server.  It caches results (well, not yet) to prevent repeated calls to
> the server, and it gives the user the ability to specify their own files
> to display images for certain statuses.
>
> It also has a text mode, which is useful if you want to use server-side
> includes to call it and return the text inline with your document.

Cool.  Thanks for the code.

One of the issues I have with this type of implementation is that for every
website that contains my presence, a Jabber "user" must be created and
logged in to collect my presence.  This might be fine for your homepage, but
I would like this to be a little more widespread than that.  10,000 web
pages, 10,000 more users signed into your server..?  Also, it is not as easy
to configure as whacking in a single line of HTML into a webpage...

> A couple of points.
>
> 1. What is to be gained by revealing resource and priority from the
> program?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  Maybe nothing.  Maybe someone can think of a
reason.  Maybe we can drop it...

> 2. Why limit images to 16x16 or 32x32?  Seems kind of small, and a square
> shape limits the kind of data that can be returned by the server.  Can a
> status line really fit in that?

16x16 images for pages where space is limited - a good example of this is
next to a users name in a forum system.  For an example of this see the ICQ
flower icons in the ARS Technica forums.  (You have to actually click though
to read some messages to see them):

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=cfrm&s=50009562

I'm open to suggestions of other graphic sizes that could be served (and the
actual graphics themselves)

Michael