[standards-jig] WebPresence (fwd)

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Fri Nov 1 17:19:34 UTC 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Richard Dobson wrote:

> > 1. The component that reads all presence data.
> > 2. The CGI script that connects to the server component; or would you have
> > the component itself listen on port 80 and respond to the HTTP request
> > directly?
>
> It doesnt have to read all presence data at all, it will only get presence
> directed to it, also why would a CGI script have to connect to the server
> component when the server component is storing the presence information into
> a database?

I'm not sure I understand your methodology.

Somewhere along the line, a program needs to send via HTTP the presence
data for the webpage, either in text or image form.

Otherwise, are you saying, have the component keep the data in a database,
and then have the CGI program check the database?

It sounds to me like you're redoing the entire mechanism to handle
presence data, when my program and followup suggestion was to just find a
solution to make that presence data available over the web.

> Well since you dont seem to know how server components work yet I suggest
> you do, and its easy to do once you understand whats going on, mine took
> about an hour to write in C++, also you shouldnt really be coding server
> components in Perl its not going to do well once it starts to get loaded by
> lots of people using it.

Depends on how many users use it, and on how well Net::Jabber::Component
is written.  For some reason or another, Perl isn't  considered an
"enterprise" language like C++ or Java, and yet it has all of the
features, and a bundle of third party code.  Maybe perl6 will change that
perception.

> Why do you need custom icons?

You don't *need* custom icons, but it would be a nice feature for end
users to have.

> Richard

Christopher Josephes
cpj1 at visi.com