[standards-jig] JEP 0038 ((Emot)Icon Styles) Updated

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Wed Nov 6 12:58:53 UTC 2002

Adam,

Looks good!  One point though...

Unless I have missed it, there doesn't now appear to be a way to distinguish
between the "default" ASCII string, and alternates.  In your example:

<icon>
   <text>:-)</text>
   <text>:)</text>
</icon>

If my client allows me to include emoticons by selecting them from a menu,
and I select an icon of a "smilie face", then how does my client know what
ASCII to include in the message?  :-) or :) ?  We need some way to indicate
a default string.  Maybe something like:

<icon>
   <text default="true">:-)</text>
   <text>:)</text>
</icon>

Also, maybe a <description/> tag would be good, so when my client displays
the options on a menu, a text label can be specified for each icon:

<icon>
   <description>Happy face</description>
   <text default="true">:-)</text>
   <text>:)</text>