[standards-jig] o/~ disco, disco MUC o/~

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Nov 7 00:07:28 UTC 2002

OK, I've looked a bit more at how disco interacts with MUC. Here is a
question:

If I send a disco#items request to a service, I receive a list of rooms.
If I send a disco#items request to a room, I receive what?

The disco spec says that an items request should return a list of
"associated items". I see two kinds of associated items for a room:

1. Current occupants:

  <iq from='jdev at conf.j.o' type='result'>
    <query xmlns='disco#items'>
      <item jid='jdev at conf.j.o/linuxwolf'/>
      <item jid='jdev at conf.j.o/stpeter'/>
    </query>
  </iq>

2. Affiliated users (members and above -- I'd leave out the outcasts).

  <iq from='jdev at conf.j.o' type='result'>
    <query xmlns='disco#items'>
      <item jid='linuxwolf at outer-planes.net'/>
      <item jid='stpeter at jabber.org'/>
    </query>
  </iq>

I'd understand arguments for either one of these. Perhaps it would be best
to leave this up to the implementation, but then of course we don't have
consistency (which might be nice if I want to consistently find out how
many people are in the room, for example).

Also, note that the <item/> elements above are in the disco namespace, not
the MUC namespace. So we can't have affiliations and roles and such --
only 'jid' and 'name'.

Thoughts?

Jabber Software Foundation