[standards-jig] o/~ disco, disco MUC o/~

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Thu Nov 7 18:20:30 UTC 2002

Hello, David!

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:53:00 -0600, you said:

 >> I'd understand arguments for either one of these. Perhaps it would be best
 >> to leave this up to the implementation, but then of course we don't have
 >> consistency (which might be nice if I want to consistently find out how
 >> many people are in the room, for example).
 DS> I spent some time this afternoon thinking about this. I came up with the
 DS> following idea. Why not use the '%' system for browsing lists. So, for
 DS> example, if I wanted to get the member list from jdev at conf.j.o, i'd send
 DS> my disco#items request to member%jdev at conf.j.o

 DS> This would allow the flexibility to request specific list information.  It
 DS> also gets around the limited reporting ability (only having jid & name) as
 DS> you already know the role or affiliation you are requesting the list
 DS> from. E.g. if I request the member list, I know all these users have
 DS> affiliation 'member'

Such flexibility can be requested by other services in the future, but current
Disco protocol allows only one 'items' or 'info' reply per JID.  I suggest to
add e.g. 'id' attribute to <items/> and <query/> elements to allow every JID
have it's own disco hierarchy.

I not very like idea with using '%' because this overloading of JID, and this
can work only with services (because they receive all to their domains).