[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0045

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Nov 8 21:10:57 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Adam Theo wrote:

> There was a short discussion on jdev chatroom just now about adding some
> crude support for mailing list-style chats into the MUC spec. I've not
> yet had the time to read the MUC spec yet (hoping to very soon), but I
> just wanted to make sure that at the very least the spec allowed for
> normal type messages to be used? Also, to make sure that a MUC admin
> could "force" all messages sent out to subscribers to be of type "normal".

It most certainly is not in the spec right now. This is a specification
for groupchat, with all that entails. While I think an NNTP or list-style
system would be cool, that's not what MUC is all about. A MUC-compliant
client must send its messages as type="groupchat" and a MUC-compliant
service must not munge the message type.

I'm open to discussing the forum/NNTP/list protocol, but not as part of
MUC, at least not right now.