[standards-jig] commands (JEP-0050)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com
Sat Nov 9 18:18:50 UTC 2002

I had thought about that...but everything change to x:data I could think
of just complicated x:data a lot for both sides (the asker and the
askee).  Embedding buttons in x:data would very quickly lead to the same
problems that exist for HTML forms, which then starts to make x:data
into XForms.

The only real benefit I can see with this is that client-developers can
have a single rendering engine...provided the commands are always
presented as buttons (or the rendering engine can divine when a menu (or
some other format) is better).  Then again, x-commands is really simple
on the rendering side.  It's just a list of things you can do to a given
entity.  I was envisioning menus.  Some were seeing "toolbars", and
others (such as yourself) saw button panels.  What I think is really
great about this JEP is that we can all implement our own [rendering]
vision easily.

x:data has stayed pretty focused on the data, and how to hint it's
display to a human.  I really think it should stay that way.  Let things
like x-commands and [the upcoming] navigation be extensions to this (and
other things).

LW