[standards-jig] thoughts on POP3 Offline (JEP-0013)

Craig Kaes ckaes at jabber.com
Mon Nov 11 22:15:04 UTC 2002

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>Based on discussions held in the last Council meeting [1], I've thought
>some more about JEP-0013 (POP3 Handling of Offline Messages) [2]. Here are
>some tentative suggestions:
>
>1. It would be good to bring the namespace into line with the newer
>conventions (e.g., "http://jabber.org/protocol/offline").

Fine.

>2. It would be good for a user to receive more information in the headers.
>Specifically, the subject and thread might be useful.

I know that this is a question of usage patterns that can get down to
fairies on pins, but it seems to me that with most messages being of
type "chat", subject will be predominantly blank.  Thread might be useful.

>3. Section 2.4 (Compatibility) says the following:
>
>   Without the ability to query a given client for feature sets,
>   POP3-like offline message handling is incompatible with the
>   existing offline model.
>
>This was true when the JEP was written but is no longer accurate given
>the existence of JEP-0020 (Feature Negotiation) [3].

Actually, it is still true.  JEP-0020 is not draft.  I'd like to wait
until we have a feature negotiation mechanism that we can all agree on
before making it a prereq of JEP 13.

In your example, tho, I'd skip steps 1-3.  If offline is not supported,
the feature negotiation would fail anyway.  Browsing for this info is
just a waste of bandwidth.

--C