[standards-jig] RFC822 style JIDs

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Wed Nov 13 04:03:02 UTC 2002

I agree with putting the same restrictions as the node to the resource.  I
guess the question really, is are there any current implementations /
applications that utilize these characters we wish to restrict?

Personally, I've only witnessed these characters on rare occasions.  I've seen
resources like "windows/home" or "Psi at work", but these are hand crafted and
thus not a problem (future servers could deny these resources with an error,
no change needed in the clients).

The only problematic resource I've seen is "Jabber Instant Messenger", which
interestingly does not use any of the characters we are discussing, but
instead uses spaces, which JEP-0029 does not allow.  That considered, it is
arguably easier to put a restriction on " | & | ' | / | : | < | > | @, since
nobody uses them.  Putting a restriction on spaces is going to require a JIM
awareness campaign.

So maybe there could be a bigger debate about whether or not resources should
be allowed to contain spaces.  After all, you might want a space in your
groupchat nickname (at least moreso than any of these other weird characters
we'd like to restrict).  One possibility is that the resource could be
URL-encoded.  So a space would become %20.  Maybe the server could do this
conversion on-the-fly as an optional transitional feature.

With that in mind, I think it should not be a problem at all to add a few more
character restrictions to JEP-0029 and call it good.

-Justin