[standards-jig] Asking the server for my IP address

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Thu Nov 21 06:17:48 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 07:59 pm, Casey Crabb wrote:
> [Devil's Advocate]
> The only complaint I can think of is jabber is 'supposed' to be
> transport-layer-neutral. IE: TCP is just one way of using the jabber
> protocol. In the future it may run over different network transports,
> perhaps ones that don't have IP's.
> [/Devil's Advocate]

I think this is one of those situations where the feature is simply practical
to have, even though it might go against the "purity" of the system.  Don't
forget, there are also a few JEPs, like 3, 37, 42 and 46, that involve
TCP/IP.  Applications that use any of these IP-specific features should know
what they are getting themselves into :)

> [My Opinion]
> I like it, though it could produce phoney results if the jabber server
> itself was firewalled and being port-forwarded.
> [/My Opinion]

True, there are a few scenarios I can conjure up that might make this flop,
but they would occur infrequently in the real world.  Even in the possibility
you mention (a Jabber server that is firewalled), the server would likely
obtain the correct IP address.

-Justin