[standards-jig] Asking the server for my IP address

Andrew Libby alibby at commnav.com
Thu Nov 21 18:14:09 UTC 2002

David Sutton wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   Why does this have to be a part of the main jabber connection? Why not
>   simply have a simple daemon that listens on a port and simply returns
>   the connected ip address?

Pro to having it within XMPP/ Jabber:

You don't have to worry about firewall/ filetering keeping you
from discovering the information you want/ need.

Con to having it with XMPP/ Jabber:

You can only use this information within XMPP/ Jabber.  Other services
cannot glean this information simply and easily.

Andy