[standards-jig] re: [Foundation] change to JEP proposal process

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Nov 22 00:22:34 UTC 2002

Per a discussion among the JSF membership, I have clarified the rules for
issuing Last Calls before a JEP is proposed to the Jabber Council.
Specifically, I've added the following sentence to Section 6 of JEP-0001:

"JEP authors may not propose or second the Last Call for their own JEPs,
and the person proposing the Last Call is strongly encouraged to confer
with the JEP Editor before doing so."

So the full text of the Proposal Process section reads as follows:

******

Before a JEP may be proposed to the Jabber Council, a motion to
propose it must be initiated by a member of the JSF. The motion must be
seconded by at least 5% of the full membership of the JSF before the JEP
shall advance to a status of Proposed. This ensures that the proposal
meets a minimum standard of interest among the Jabber community. Once 5%
of JSF members second the motion, the JEP Editor shall issue a Last Call
for discussion on the mailing list of the Standards JIG (the Last Call
shall expire not less than 10 days after the date of issue). JEP authors
may not propose or second the Last Call for their own JEPs, and the person
proposing the Last Call is strongly encouraged to confer with the JEP
Editor before doing so.

If all issues of substance have been addressed by the JEP author before
the end of the Last Call, the JEP Editor shall formally propose a specific
revision of the JEP to the Jabber Council.

******

I'm cc'ing Standards-JIG so that JEP Authors are aware of the process.

Jabber Software Foundation