[standards-jig] Asking the server for my IP address

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Nov 22 15:51:44 UTC 2002

Hi Justin!

Justin Karneges wrote:

>I have a very simple proposal for the server:  it should be possible that the
>client can ask the server what its own IP address is.  This is essential in
>situations where the client cannot determine its real external IP address
>(client is behind NAT), yet another client wishes to directly connect to it
>(say, via JEP-0046: DTCP).

- If the client is behind a NAT there is no need to know the external IP
of the NAT-Router. If an other client connects to this IP it doesn't
connect to the other client but to the NAT.
- If there are tools that forward connections from the NAT-Router to the
internal client these tools can be extended to query them for the IP.
(E.g. use SOCKS)
- Jabber-Servers can be behind firewalls/forwarders too and don't need
to know the IP of the client.
- You don't need to run Jabber over IP. E.g. I've made some experiments
with Jabber over AX.25.
- At the server this query would be handled by the JSM that does not
(and should not) know about the type of connection (or source address of
it) to the client.
- You would ask to wrong network layer.

Tot kijk
    Matthias