[standards-jig] Thoughs about DSPS/JOBS

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Sat Nov 23 10:15:27 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I was thinking about JEP-37 and 42, and how they:

1) are overcomplicated
2) are lots of work to implement
3) have no proposed applications

As it stands, no one is rushing to implement them.  After spending a
considerable amount of time implementing JEP-46 (DTCP), I would not want to
code yet-another-tcp-system that is even more complex.

Perhaps #1 could be addressed by simplifying these protocols to not include
anything related stream formation.  Instead, they could use DTCP as a basis.
And not just DTCP, how about IBB also?  Then this multicasting server
component thing could interact with clients in multiple ways.  And with the
bulk of the complicated stream stuff removed, it wouldn't be so daunting to
implement.

-Justin