[standards-jig] Asking the server for my IP address

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Wed Nov 27 09:36:58 UTC 2002

Hi!

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 05:35:50PM -0800, Justin Karneges wrote:
> It would simply be a convenience feature.  In the case of NAT, a user would
> currently have to make a port forward and specify his outside IP address into
> the client application.  I want to eliminate the latter step.

If the user has the administrative rights to setup a port forward on the
NAT box he can also install a SOCKS proxy that can tell him the IP address
of the outside network interface.

If encourage better SOCKS support in Jabber clients as this will help the user
more. SOCKS is available in many networks even if you can't setup stupid
port forwards.

BTW 1: SOCKS is really easy to implement ...

BTW 2: With your approach you just change the step where the user has to
       configure the IP to a step where the user has to configure the
       external and internal port number, that doesn't make the setup more
       comfortable. With SOCKS the proxy tells the client all it has to know.
       No user interaction required.

Tot kijk
    Matthias
--