[standards-jig] Asking the server for my IP address

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Nov 28 03:35:04 UTC 2002

> BTW 1: SOCKS is really easy to implement ...
>
> BTW 2: With your approach you just change the step where the user has
>        configure the IP to a step where the user has to configure the
>        external and internal port number, that doesn't make the setup
> more
>        comfortable. With SOCKS the proxy tells the client all it has
> to know.
>        No user interaction required.

The problem with socks is that there are virtually no good free server
implementations of socks for windows (that i can find anyway, if anyone
knows different please tell me, google does seem to know of any) the
only place I can seem to find it is built into expensive
all-encompasing proxy/nat gateway software, and if you already have an
expensive piece of nat/firewall software that doesnt do socks it is
very unlikely people are going to change it just so people can do
jabber transfers, having the "option" to query for the external ip is
very useful for anything you want to do p2p where you have setup port
forwards (a perfectly respectable and normal thing to do), and as
someone has already mentioned ICQ, AIM, and now MSN (in the new
protocol update) allow the querying of your external ip as part of the
protocol. Also for protocols that are heavily p2p such as game
protocols querying for the external ip is often a standard feature too.

Richard