[standards-jig] NEW JEP: Multi-User Chat

Ryan Eatmon reatmon at jabber.org
Sat Sep 14 14:21:34 UTC 2002

One good reason is that to setup the conversation to negotiate things
like nicks is complicated.  And just doing it based off of type='error'
is a really bad way of doing it.

Another reason is that overloading the presence tag to do more and more
is also a bad hack.

It would be nicer to have a cleanly designed protocol to do everything
all contained within one namespace.

Yes, the initial groupchat protocol was nice and simple.  So leverage
that and use the simple parts in the new protocol, but don't juse hack
up the existing one.  DW's groupchat protocol was looking to try and
bring full groupchat capability to Jabber, which is something we greatly
need.