[standards-jig] Flagging stream errors before the stream is established

Wing, Oliver owing at vianetworks.com
Mon Sep 16 12:38:18 UTC 2002

Robert Norris wrote...

> I've run into a small quirk while implementing 1.5, and thought it
> should really be documented.
>
> It's possible for an error to occur before the XML stream is
> established. The stream header may be invalid (bad namespace, to
> address, etc), or something else may happen that we need to tell the
> client about before we kick them (eg they've been rate limited).

> <stream:error xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'>Invalid
> XML</stream:error>
>
> At the very least, we should document what should happen in this case.
> What do others think?

I think this is my preferred option, as the present 1.4 code will cause an
Invalid XML exception in many namespace aware parsers. I don't think you
need nor necessarily should establish a stream, as the client never
requested it. Further, when we move towards one port, sending
xmlns='jabber:client' may not be appropriate.

Regards,

--
Oliver Wing