[standards-jig] JEP-0045 Suggestions

Lars Kaufmann kaufmann at bluehands.de
Mon Sep 16 16:54:15 UTC 2002

Hi!

First of all, we have to make clear what we're talking about. As I
mentioned earlier, I'm writing a moderation component working as proxy
in front of the original conference component filtering incoming and
outgoing traffic. This is not for fun but experience shows (*) that we
need some abilities to moderate the chat rooms. Among other things (+)
we need the ability to kick, mute, gag or ban a user.

If somebody wants to make trouble it's not very efficient just to ban
him/her by nick in this single room. You maybe have to ban the jid on
the entire conference server. You might say the conference component
knows the mapping between nick and jid and that is enough. To support
reasonable administration features you have to work with jids at the
client side user interface. But Richard is right. To preserve the
privacy we must not reveal the jid to every user in the chat room but to
some privileged administrators. This is the point where user roles and
capabilities are getting important.

It's no real limitation if you say one user has exactly one role. You
just have to introduce a new role if you don't already have one with the
needed set of capabilities. But I think it's not a good protocol design
if you restrict yourself to the single role paradigm by choosing a
mapping to the xml supporting only one role. Extensibility...

Lars

(*) We're running and developing online communication software for quite
a few years now. Currently we're working on a Virtual Presence system
whose communication is based on the jabber network. To get the idea
check out http://jabber.bluehands.de

(+) e.g. vips being able to talk in a read only conference.

Dipl. Inf. Lars Kaufmann
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG
Tel 0721 / 1610873