[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0004

Sebastiaan 'CBAS' Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Mon Sep 23 22:10:16 UTC 2002

>>>You just broke all XPath parsers that want to treat fields the same.
>>>You can no longer just reach into a field and say XPath("field/value")
>>>and get back all of the values for the field.  Just to save you from
>>>having to look at a <value/> tag.  XML is designed to be structured, and
>>>often times structure interferes with ease of readability, but it sure
>>>lets the computer rip through things since it is orderly.
>>>

>>Hmm, now _that_ is a better argument :)  Guess I have to ask how widely
>>XPath is used in the jabber community... in the work i've done so far,
>>it hasn't been worthwhile at all - forms processing has been pretty
>>straightforward and I can reach in and get the stuff I need directly,
>>without needing the power of XPath.  Would like to hear others'
>>experiences in this matter...
>>

>To reply specifically to the XPath stuff, many of the new clients are
>heavily using XPath.  Exodus and Gabber2 I know off hand, and I have two
>libraries in development that use XPath extensively.  The new
>Net::Jabber also makes heavy (ok, _very_ heavy use of XPath) use.
>
>--temas

Same goes for the next release of RhymBox, and any other software based
on Tipic's ATEClient library (which uses the MSXML interfaces).
IMO, XPath is the way to go with XML parsing, and especially when you're
extracting input from a form such as jabber:x:data.

One question I'd like to add: What is the general feeling on pushing
forms to the client?  I mean should a client popup every form it
receives or should it only use jabber:x:data to request a form (the pull
method).  I am not saying this should be in the JEP, or that every
client should behave this way!  I'd just like to hear some opinions on
this matter since some of the most recent comments here said that
clients should be prepared to receive/display x:data forms in regular
messages (and any other packet).

--
Sebastiaan 'CBAS' Deckers