[standards-jig] Version 0.5 of JEP-0045

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 23 23:19:42 UTC 2002

Is there a specific proposal to change the protocol here?

I could see the following:

Clients are not allowed to send messages of type="groupchat". If they do
send such a message, the type is stripped off by router or the network
edge or whatever. The message is then routed to room at service. Before
reflecting the message out to the room participants, the groupchat service
adds type="groupchat" back onto the message. Now the router sees that this
message comes from a chat service and accepts the message type by routing
it on unchanged.

However, is this really necessary?

What are the potentially dangerous or confusing scenarios y'all have in
mind here? I could open an XML debug window or use telnet to send you a
message of type="groupchat" and your client might treat that as a reason
to launch a groupchat interface rather than a regular old chat interface.
Anything else?

Jabber Software Foundation