[standards-jig] LAST CALL: Server-Based Privacy Rules (JEP-0016)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Sun Sep 29 21:38:45 UTC 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Ben Schumacher wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2002, Justin Kirby wrote:
> > We have business hours?
>
> The JSF is a corporation that is based in Denver (as that's where the
> secretary is located), I would assume that close of business, and
> operating hours, is based on his day... but that's just my guess.

The close of business is whenever I log off for the night, usually 22:00
Mountain time if I'm expecting incoming messages or earlier if I actually
want to get some work done. :)

> > Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but what about blocking entire
> > domains, or implementing some type of pattern matching on the JID?
> >
> > <item jid="(\d*)@domain.com" type="deny"/>
>
> Could the current protocol not already block an entire domain? It does JID
> matching, but if the JID is just 'domain.com', doesn't that imply
> '*@domain.com' based on the current behavior of most software? I don't
> know if is explicit in the JEP, but maybe it should be. I would, also,
> think that 'x at domain.com/y' should block that resource from that user.

I agree it would be good to make this explicit. Naturally domain.com is a
valid JID, but *@domain.com is different from domain.com and I don't think
the '*@' is implied here.

Jabber Software Foundation