[standards-jig] NEW JEP: Inband Bytestream (JEP-0047)

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Mon Sep 30 00:25:47 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Instead of a sequence property, would it perhaps be easier to have a
> range property?  No need for clients to keep track of non-sequenced
> packets and easier for clients that want to use pause/resume file
> transfers.

Since Inband-Bytestream is merely a transport protocol, a "range" value would
probably be outside of its scope.

I expect there to be a separate file transfer implementation that defines
those types of things, and would layer over IBB.  I've actually written my
own such spec already, but have not converted it to a JEP yet.

> Why BASE64?  Surely there are more compact encoding mechanisms?
> For example: http://b-news.sourceforge.net/
> I don't think this particular method would work in XML, but the theory
> behind it can be applied to have less than the 33% hit that BASE64 has.

Looks interesting.  Can someone else comment on this?

-Justin