[standards-jig] VoIP and Jabber

Craig Southeren craig_southeren at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:32:26 UTC 2003

To all,

   As one of the co-authors of the OpenH323 project (used by many VoIP
projects, including GnomeMeeting), and as someone who has just started
getting into Jabber in a big way, I am interested in working with interested
parties to move ahead on the integration of VoIP functions into Jabber.

   I've seen some of the previous emails re VoIP on this list
(http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-March/002755.html
and
http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-January/002524.html)
and those seem to be heading towards duplicating the signalling functions of
H.323 and SIP using the Jabber protocol. While this would be possible, I
really don't think this is the right approach. VoIP is a LOT more complex
than just exchanging IP addresses and port numbers: think about call
deflection, conferences, integration with existing voice networks, sending
progress tones, out of band DTMF tones, and call routing. Trust me, you
don't want to get into it if you can avoid it :)

  Jabber has the potential to be much more than just duplicating the
signalling functions of H.323 or SIP. Being able to advertise a normal
telephone number for voice calls using Jabber would be very useful. Or a fax
number, or integration with SMS messaging, and so on.

  Is there are a standard way for a Jabber user to advertise any voice or
video related information via a Jabber server? That is, is there a standard
way for me to include a telephone number in my externally visible Jabber
information? Can I specify my cell phone number, or my landline number? Can
I specify the address and port of my H.323 phone or my SIP phone? Can I
indicate that I can do audio and/or video? Can I select what users can see
what information? I'd like this right now - is there a standard for this?

   I am also interested in starting an effort within the H.323 community to
define a standard way for the H.323 protocol to interface to IMPP systems
and Jabber. This may require the definition of new messages and structures
within H.323 - if anyone is interested in this, then please contact me.

  The SIP community already seems to working on their own solution to this.
Rosenberg has his own strong opinions on this, and whilst OpenH323 is
working to include the SIP protocol (via the Opal project), I will leave the
specifics of how SIP handles this to others who have more time.

   I am already working on these kinds of ideas, and would be very
interested in talking or emailing with others who would like to work on it
also. Whilst I am a newbie as far as Jabber is concerned, I have lots of
experience in VoIP and would be happy to bring that to bear on the problem.

  BTW: for those who do not know, OpenH323 can be found at
http://www.openh323.org and runs on Linux, Windows, *BSD, and OSX (among
others).

   Craig Southeren

P.S - sorry for the use of hotmail - my main work machine is down right now
and I cannot access my normal email account until I get it running again :(