[standards-jig] VoIP and Jabber

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Apr 1 15:09:40 UTC 2003

http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-January/002524.html)
> and those seem to be heading towards duplicating the signalling functions
of
> H.323 and SIP using the Jabber protocol. While this would be possible, I
> really don't think this is the right approach. VoIP is a LOT more complex
> than just exchanging IP addresses and port numbers: think about call
> deflection, conferences, integration with existing voice networks, sending
> progress tones, out of band DTMF tones, and call routing. Trust me, you
> don't want to get into it if you can avoid it :)

But as far as I gathered we are not looking for creating a full VoIP system,
at the moment just a common voice chat standard between two Jabber clients,
kind of like the way Yahoo do it in the chat windows, it doesnt seem to
bother with something like H.323 or SIP which seems overkill to me at least.

>   Jabber has the potential to be much more than just duplicating the
> signalling functions of H.323 or SIP. Being able to advertise a normal
> telephone number for voice calls using Jabber would be very useful. Or a
fax
> number, or integration with SMS messaging, and so on.

But at the moment its not for voice calls or anything quite like that, just
simple voice chat not integrating with POTS networks.

>   Is there are a standard way for a Jabber user to advertise any voice or
> video related information via a Jabber server? That is, is there a
standard
> way for me to include a telephone number in my externally visible Jabber
> information? Can I specify my cell phone number, or my landline number?
Can
> I specify the address and port of my H.323 phone or my SIP phone? Can I
> indicate that I can do audio and/or video? Can I select what users can see
> what information? I'd like this right now - is there a standard for this?

You use disco to discover a clients capabilities.

>    I am also interested in starting an effort within the H.323 community
> define a standard way for the H.323 protocol to interface to IMPP systems
> and Jabber. This may require the definition of new messages and structures
> within H.323 - if anyone is interested in this, then please contact me.

Interesting and definately the sort of way to go where full phone VoIP
capabilities are required.

>   The SIP community already seems to working on their own solution to
this.
> Rosenberg has his own strong opinions on this, and whilst OpenH323 is
> working to include the SIP protocol (via the Opal project), I will leave
the
> specifics of how SIP handles this to others who have more time.
>
>    I am already working on these kinds of ideas, and would be very
> interested in talking or emailing with others who would like to work on it
> also. Whilst I am a newbie as far as Jabber is concerned, I have lots of
> experience in VoIP and would be happy to bring that to bear on the
problem.

Great but it would have to be very simple and very easy to use, especially
for novice users to get them to use this instead of something like msn or
the like, and also be able to handle firewalls and NATs and stuff
transparently which H.323 doesnt seem to do that well and only really works
if a NAT is specifically developed to handle H.323 pass thru.

Richard