[standards-jig] Voice and Video conferencing: need for a generic conferencing protocol ?

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at rd.francetelecom.com
Tue Apr 1 15:10:13 UTC 2003

Hi,
I am involved in a project that aims at integrating voice and possibly video conferencing in a jabber-based IM product. We already have working solutions for the actual voice or video data exchanges: only the sig part remains to be implemented in XMPP. I have planned to use TINS for the negotiation of voice and video sessions, and some kind of variant of the MUC protocol for the conferencing part.
What puzzles me is that the MUC room management protocol could be used almost as is for multimedia conferencing, if it had not be primarily targeted as addressing text conferencing needs (the conferencing service itself is dedicated to text based messaging : category='conference', type='text' specified during discovery).

So, my point is: wouldn't it be possible to define a generic conferencing protocol that could support various collaborative services ?

Basically, if I wanted to such a protocol, I will duplicate the MUC room management protocol simply changing the 'text' type to 'generic' (or omitting it), and add more fields in the "room" item in disco to support text, voice, video or other kinds of collaborative tasks (whiteboard, text-editing, co-browsing, ...). We could have for instance voice.myroom at conference.jabber.org, text.myroom at conference.jabber.org ...

So, what do you think: does it make sense or should it be better to define a voice/video conferencing protocol from scratch with type 'voice/video' ?

David CORVOYSIER
France Telecom R&D
email: david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
jids: dcorvoysier at jabber.com, david.corvoysier at wanadoo.fr