[standards-jig] Voice and Video conferencing: need for a gene ric conferencing protocol ?

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Tue Apr 1 19:16:09 UTC 2003

Pointer to TINS for those that are new:
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hildebrand-xmpp-sdpng-00.txt

David, I'm not sure what you mean about MUC being dedicated to text.  Just
because the room can process text messages doesn't mean that clients need to
send them or render them.  There is no reason why a MUC implementation
couldn't respond with more than one browse/disco type to indicate it was
also a voice gateway of some type.

It is useful at times to combine text conferencing and voice conferencing.
I've got a demo that shows the first steps of this, where users' presence in
the room is modified by their on-hook/off-hook state, and the voice bridge
calls out to them...