[standards-jig] VoIP and Jabber

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at rd.francetelecom.com
Wed Apr 2 09:39:00 UTC 2003

Hi,
As mentioned in another post, I am currently working on a project that
aims at providing VoIP/Video conferencing in Jabber.

We are currently having internally a strong debate about the way we
integrate the signalling part in the application, that roughly
corresponds to the previous threads on VoIP and Jabber.

Basically we have two options:

1 - keep the client-server protocol full XMPP and provide a gateway that
maps TINS to SIP and/or H323 (SIP is the primary target actually)
2 - develop a client that understands both XMPP and SIP/H323 (maybe
both)

This appears to me a bit like the Jabber versus Trillian approach to
interoperable IM (fat clients versus transports). The choice is not easy
because both solutions have pros and cons:

Solution 1 Pros:
- simpler client,
- allows rich conferencing,
- more "packaged" solution.

Solution 1 Cons:
- risk of reinventing the wheel,
- difficulty/cost of implementing the gateway,
- no formal adoption of TINS by the jabber community,
- TINS out of the scope of the XMPP WG.

Solution 2 Pros:
- Can take advantage of existing client SIP/H323 stacks,
- easier to interface with existing voice networks

Solution 2 Cons:
- heavy-weight client,
- likely to require multiple servers if we want to interoperate with SIP
or H323 world,
- not easy to mix different conferencing modes,
- NAT traversal ?
- versionning nightmare to follow the evolutions of three protocols.

I personnaly would like to see the jabber community start debating about
the way to integrate VoIP and Video in Jabber, because I expect growing
conflicts between SIP, H323 and XMPP as protocols extends and overlaps.

At least, since my project involves XMPP, SIP and H323 implementers, and
since we tend to be led by our implementations to discuss this matter, I
am very interested in having as many advices as I can from external
people involved in each realm (XMPP/H323/SIP).