[standards-jig] NEW: In-Band Registration (JEP-0077)

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Mon Apr 7 13:54:34 UTC 2003

Jacek,

> > Iain recently emailed the list asking how everyone sees the
> > registration
> > fields evolving vs. V-card, etc.
>
> I remember the mail and I don't think this is a good idea.

What isn't a good idea? Basically, none of the popular clients seem to correctly implement registration fields right now, and the
reason seems to be that the registration fields are somewhat useless from end-users point of view. It seems like vcard and the reg
fields duplicate information somewhat, so figuring out a way for those values to be tied together makes sense. In general, some of a
user's profile information should be public (name, possibly email address, etc), while other information should be private (SSN# if
the user was establish the account with a bank, for example). Neither the registration fields or vcards seem to have support for a
mix of public and private profile information.

> Registration IMHO should be made using jabber:x:data which
> allows use of any fields needed. Current registration field
> (as used in jabber:iq:register) or vCard fields are usually
> not enough or too much (or both).
>
> Mechanism defined in JEP-0068 can be used to link vCard
> fields with registration form fields.

Can you provide more details about this?

Regards,
Matt