[standards-jig] NEW: In-Band Registration (JEP-0077)

Ragavan S jabber_dev at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:17:25 UTC 2003

>What isn't a good idea? Basically, none of the popular clients seem to
>correctly implement registration fields right now, and the
>reason seems to be that the registration fields are somewhat useless from
>end-users point of view. It seems like vcard and the reg
>fields duplicate information somewhat, so figuring out a way for those
>values to be tied together makes sense. In general, some of a
>user's profile information should be public (name, possibly email address,
>etc), while other information should be private (SSN# if
>the user was establish the account with a bank, for example). Neither the
>registration fields or vcards seem to have support for a
>mix of public and private profile information.

True, but then again, what is public for you may be private for me and vice
versa.

Ideally, we should just be able to tie the registration process to existing
information repositories (like say an LDAP directory), so that the directory
then handles who gets to see what information based on what credentials get
presented and so on.

Practically, not everyone is going to have an LDAP directory (or any
existing repository), to tie in to. So, it may be that the server
administrator decides who gets to see what and also what information is
absolutely needed (username), what is strongly recommended (full name),
what is strictly opt-in (email address), and what is
are-you-out-of-your-mind (SSN). Now, obviously, this method is not going to
provide a standard set of attributes across different Jabber servers, but
the nature of the data is such that it is hard to come up with a set that
will make everyone happy.

So, from a client's perspective, for the second case, the set of fields may
have to be dynamically generated (or enabled/disabled) based on how the
admin has setup the registration component.

We COULD try and define a set of recommendations (not standards), for what
sort of information is best suited for required, strongly recommended,
opt-in etc.. to help guide admins and also provide a default set for people
that don't want to get too fancy (or just don't care). These recommendations
could be based off vcard-temp, so we don't end up defining our own
attributes.

Am I way off base here :) ?

Ragavan