[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Mon Apr 7 17:33:58 UTC 2003

Temas,

> So how do we solve the seq mess?  The solution that myself
> and a few others have been suggesting is that packets are not
> sent with a sequence number, but rather a high resolution
> (millisecond) timestamp of when the packet was transmitted.

As someone from the Java world, I'll have to argue against this particular suggestion. The highest time resolution that most Java
implementations can achieve is somewhere around 10 ms. That's not nearly accurate enough for what you're proposing. It also puts an
additional onus on client developers since they'd need to add code to ensure that the date values are always different for every
packet. If I had to implement the JEP under Java using timestamps, I'd probably just pick an arbitrary date, then add 1 millesecond
to every packet I send. Essentially, this would just be an unbounded counter so I don't see how it provides much of an advantage
over the current JEP (as long as the current JEP packet ID's were cleaned up as you suggest).

> The error state
> really needs a lot of flushing out still, such as what to do
> when an error is encountered in the middle of a transmission
> by the sender (bounced packet).

Right, it would be a bummer if the entire stream was corrupted due to a single lost message.

Regards,
Matt