[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Mon Apr 7 17:49:44 UTC 2003

Temas,

> That functionality should happen on another level such as
> JEP-0052 (File Transfer).

So, I assume JEP-0052 would be updated to add support for IBB at some point? I guess that would mean negotiating a file transfer and
then using the uid of the IBB stream to actually send the data? In any case, transferring a file was perhaps a bad example. From the
IBB JEP:

> It could also be useful for any kind of low-bandwidth activity, such
> as a chess game or a shell session

In this type of case, some meta-data associated with the stream would be extremely useful. I guess what I'm really looking for is
what I've already implemented in Smack (Java client lib). You can attach properties to packets that look like the following:

<!-- All properties are in a x block. -->
<x xmlns="http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmlns/xmpp/properties">
  <!-- First, a property named "prop1" that's an integer. -->
  <property>
    <name>prop1</name>
    <value type="integer">123</value>
  <property>
  <!-- Next, a Java object that's been serialized and then converted
       from binary data to base-64 encoded text. -->
  <property>
    <name>blah2</name>
    <value type="java-object">adf612fna9nab</value>
  <property>
</x>

More info at: http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack/documentation/properties.html

One of the property types is binary data, but I see IBB as a much better for sending large chunks of data. All of this is very
useful for people doing machine to machine Jabber communication. Without meta-data of some sort, it's pretty difficult for two
applications to negotiate about the data they're going to send back and forth unless they use a custom namespace for particular
data. This sucks for people that want to just grab a Jabber library and code at a higher level. Perhaps this is too much complexity
for the IBB JEP? It's certainly possible, but simple meta-data does seems fairly useful to me.

Regards,
Matt