[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Mon Apr 7 20:41:18 UTC 2003

> Why not just use a counter and tighten up the rules on how the counter is
> used? This will allow much easier error detection of missed packets, as
> was brought up in another email and avoids the whole mess of different
> time stamp implementations on different systems.

That's the part that has been giving me a headache as I read this,
honestly.

Tracking packets by timestamp to determine if a packet was missed or not
looks like a horribly hairy thing, even with prevseq.  I'm trying to catch
up on the list but as far as I see, prevseq is a chain; I can't tell
necessarily if I'm missing one packet, or ten, or one hundred.  Just that I
/am/ missing something.  A counter gives me a very simple way to go 'well,
I got packet 10, now I got packet 13... huh.  I think I'm missing packets
11 and 12.'