[standards-jig] NEW: In-Band Registration (JEP-0077)

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Mon Apr 7 21:23:33 UTC 2003

On 4/7/03 9:17, "Ragavan S" <jabber_dev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Practically, not everyone is going to have an LDAP directory (or any
> existing repository), to tie in to. So, it may be that the server
> administrator decides who gets to see what and also what information is
> absolutely needed (username), what is strongly recommended (full name),
> what is strictly opt-in (email address), and what is
> are-you-out-of-your-mind (SSN). Now, obviously, this method is not going to
> provide a standard set of attributes across different Jabber servers, but
> the nature of the data is such that it is hard to come up with a set that
> will make everyone happy.

Right. I think levels of registration information (required, desired,
optional) and a way to map this to vcard information would be essential.
Currently registration says anything listed is required.

The overlaps with vCard itself seem so large (and perhaps x:data... Wasn't
there an x:forms or something like that?) that I'd really like to see us
pulling all this user data together into one cohesive idea and protocol.
Even with this start, it's feeling a bit like oob and I don't want to see
that kind of fragmentation here.

-iain