[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Tue Apr 8 00:03:55 UTC 2003

"Peter Millard" <me at pgmillard.com> wrote on 7-4-2003 20:04:25:

><council_hat>
>For the record, I concur with temas' assessment of the various issues
>with this JEP.
>
>1) Need to find a better method for "stamping" instead of the seq,
>prev- seq mess.
>2) Use <message> elements perhaps with proper expiration headers
>instead of using <iq>'s. We get lots of delivery semantics from jabber
>itself. Lets use them :) We don't need the overhead of ack'ing every
>message.

>(We don't need to re-invent TCP here).

In fact we do have to, at least part of it. And not as decent and
efficient as TCP either, to prevent it from becoming too complex.
However, I still think usage of <iq/>'s for acking can *optionally*
provide a somewhat decent and very simple flowrate control. (Because
flowrate is one part of TCP we'll eventually have to re-invent for some
applications).

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo