[standards-jig] NEW: In-Band Registration (JEP-0077)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Apr 8 15:14:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:54:34AM -0400, Matt Tucker wrote:

> Jacek wrote:
>
> > Registration IMHO should be made using jabber:x:data which
> > allows use of any fields needed. Current registration field
> > (as used in jabber:iq:register) or vCard fields are usually
> > not enough or too much (or both).
> >
> > Mechanism defined in JEP-0068 can be used to link vCard
> > fields with registration form fields.
>
> Can you provide more details about this?

Basically, we could just use jabber:x:data and reserve certain field
names with the Jabber Registrar, which could be mapped to existing vCard
data elements. So the user would fill out a vCard as step one and much
or most of the required registration information would be prepopulated
in the x:data form (probably everything but password). We wouldn't send
vCard XML over the wire for registration, it would all be x:data. This
is worth pursuing. The only problem is it requires support for x:data in
order to work, and we haven't required that (yet) in Jabber IM Basic 1.0
(it seems that this might be a good idea, but I haven't gone there yet).

I can write this up more fully if desired.

Jabber Software Foundation