[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Apr 8 18:41:30 UTC 2003

> Suppose I have a 10-mbit connection to my Jabber server and you are on
> 14k4 dailup. I initiate my "stream" to you and among the many other
> things I do with my account I start sending one packet after the other
> to you. I have no way of telling when or if you have received them, so
> they just "pile up" on the Jabber server, and keep coming to you till
> you disconnect or the server's storage runs out.

Okay, this might sound really sort of stupid, but... we do already have
jabber:x:event in message stanzas, which are being used for transport.  Why
not simply make every tenth, twentieth, whatever packet have a <delivered/>
event notification?  I sent twenty packets off, and wait for my
notification to come back, send the next twenty packets, etc.  I mean, in
theory, the client should be returning a delivered notification if I
request one anyway, by the event specification.  It's not exactly elegant
flow control, but at least it nicely reuses existing namespace. :)

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/