[standards-jig] JEP-0047 (IBB) Updated

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Tue Apr 8 18:55:16 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Rachel Blackman" <rcb at ceruleanstudios.com>
> Okay, this might sound really sort of stupid, but... we do already have
> jabber:x:event in message stanzas, which are being used for transport.  Why
> not simply make every tenth, twentieth, whatever packet have a <delivered/>
> event notification?  I sent twenty packets off, and wait for my
> notification to come back, send the next twenty packets, etc.  I mean, in
> theory, the client should be returning a delivered notification if I
> request one anyway, by the event specification.  It's not exactly elegant
> flow control, but at least it nicely reuses existing namespace. :)

> Am I overlooking something obvious?

Not at all... I really like the solution of using <delivered/> for flow control
since it would not require acks for every packet. Should the interval be
negotiated (I don't think so). This would allow the sending application to use
whatever interval it feels is appropriate (based on the type of stream, etc...).

pgm.